The Next Big Story
Journalism and Mass Communication offers a home for those first-year students aspiring to be professionals in media and media studies. Journalism is so much more than newspapers and story writing. Engage in social, academic, and creative hands-on activities related to a wide variety of professional media applications, including online, print, broadcast, and video forms of journalism and public relations.
Programming for Journalism and Mass Communication
Programming in this community may include the following:
- Tour media production facilities at the Adler Journalism Building.
- Receive mentoring by professional media clubs like student chapters of the Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Black Journalists, and the Public Relations Society of America.
- Partner with the campus news station.
- Work with the Daily Iowan.
- Have lunch with journalism professionals from around the nation.
- Learn how to articulate journalism experiences on a resume through career development.
- Tour the Iowa City Press-Citizen and KCRG-TV9.
- Audit an advanced journalism course for a day.
- Watch and discuss “Goodnight, and Good Luck.”
- Take a trip to Chicago to see places like the Sun Times, magazine offices, and TV studios.
Participants may enroll in the two prerequisite courses for the Journalism and Mass Communication major: Media Uses and Effects or Media History and Culture. These 3-semester-hour courses also count as general education credits.
Who Lives Here
This community accepts first-year students only.
How To Apply
The housing application for the 2014-2015 academic year will open in October. You’ll apply through your Admissions Profile on ISIS and pay a non-refundable $75 housing application fee.
Stage 1 – Your LLC Choices
You will rank your top five living-learning communities. You can change your choices any time before February 1. You will also have the opportunity to pair up with a roommate. Iowa offers an optional roommate matching service that helps you find the right fit using a roommate matching profile and your LLC choices. Roommate pairing must be complete by January 15.
Stage 2 – Your Room Assignment
If you apply for housing before February 1, you’ll get an email invite in March that tells you how to pick your own room from all the available options that match your preferences. If you apply after February 1, you will be assigned to a room in one of your top five LLC choices.