Get a Safe and Smart Start
As a college student, you will confront new challenges and new choices. We want you to be ready from day one!
College Expectations Course
All new undergraduate students enrolling for summer and fall 2013 are required to enroll in an online course called College Expectations for Fall Semester 2013.
- First-year students enrolling for summer or fall 2013 will take course number 420:050 during the fall semester. This includes international first-year students.
- Transfer students enrolling for summer or fall 2013 will take course number 420:060 during the fall semester. This includes international transfer students.
International students in the Iowa Intensive English Program are not required to complete the course until they have been admitted to a degree program.
The College Expectations course includes three online components for first-year students (420:050) and two online components for transfer students (420:060). The MAP-Works component is not required for transfer students.
The components include:
- eCHECKUP TO GO, which will provide you with accurate and detailed information about your personal alcohol-related risk patterns, individual level of alcohol tolerance, unique family risk factors, harm-reduction strategies, and helpful resources on campus and in the community.
- eCHECKUP TO GO opens on June 10th and the deadline to complete it is September 13, 2013.
- nformd.net is designed to help you protect yourself and others from sexual assault, harassment, stalking, and dating/domestic violence. You will learn what constitutes sexual or domestic violence, how to intervene when you see it, and what to do if it happens to you or someone you know.
- nformd.net opens on June 10 and the deadline to complete it is September 13, 2013.
- MAP-Works, a comprehensive transition program that will help you gauge early success at Iowa. You will be asked to take a survey during the third week of the fall semester. Based on your responses, you will receive an individualized report suggesting campus resources that may help you excel both inside and outside the classroom.
- MAP-Works can be taken beginning September 9, 2013. The deadline to complete it is September 27, 2013.
- This component is not required for transfer students.